Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mmmm, mmmm, Good

My latest love affair is with my new Pressure Cooker. I was afraid of them back when a friend of mine started raving about hers. She rattled off recipe after recipe that she had made in her pressure cooker. I was not convinced and asked the age old question "but don't they blow up?". She laughed and said she was afraid of it too but then she took a class and now she loves it.

My hubby got me a fabulous pressure cooker for my birthday. All you wives out in the work force that are horrified that my hubby bought me cookware for my birthday, calm down. I actually love to cook so any cookware for any holiday is more welcome in my house than jewelry. In fact you working women would benefit immensely if your husbands got you a pressure cooker for your birthday as well. They are the ultimate fast food machine. Food is cooked so incredibly fast, I've begun to sound like an infomercial. I can whip out a pot roast worthy of company in just 30 minutes. Soups and stews are so quick that I now have a freezer full of soups perfect for lunch in a hurry or surprise visits from friends. Soup's perfect for lazy dinners when I'm tired and don't feel like cooking. Yes, even those of us that love to cook sometimes get tired.

While my super, duper, fast food machine is wonderful, there are things it cannot do. Sourdough bread is one of them. I have a starter that we've named Bob. I have fed and cared for Bob for over a week now, feeding and encouraging him to grow and bubble. Bob has risen to the challenge and is producing a loaf of bread as I type. Go Bob, Go!

In other homemaking type news, I made my mom some pj's for Mother's Day. The pattern is from Ottobre Designs. The fabric for the bottoms is vintage cotton Yukata, typically used for summer Kimono. I hope they fit. If they don't, I suppose I will have some great new pj's!

What's for dinner tonight? Pressure Cooker sloppy joes, sauteed green beans, and shoe string fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment