Monday, May 31, 2010

Cooking Show Dreams


I often have ideas floating around my head. They usually involve more effort and financial outlay than I am willing to input. I had this brilliant idea for an online market for crafters and a year later Etsy boomed. My husband always says that a really good idea is usually already taken. Perhaps he is right.

I should come up with a show to exploit my children but then I guess that has been done over and over. One of my current ideas is to host a cooking show. Not a chef in white coat, ingredients you never heard of cooking show. Rather a mom making dinner every night and how she gets a meal on the table every night amidst all the goings on in a traditional family. Not only does this mom make great dinners, she manages to find foods that everyone loves while avoiding all her food allergies. Maybe nobody would watch it. But then everyone seems to be watching all these other shows that I cannot imagine watching...The Real Housewives of where ever, just about everything on MTV, and all those simulated "reality" shows out of California.

They could film it in my real kitchen complete with my cooktop that only has 3 working burners, tile counters with severely stained grout, and a microwave that is so low as to not allow a stock pot. Add to the mix two rowdy pugs that are always under foot, the piano music constantly playing in the background, and so little counter space things are balancing precariously throughout, and I think it would be a great show. It would at least be real "reality". Well, my reality anyway.

Here are two recipes for all those non-dairy folks:
No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
2 cups sugar
4 tbsp. cocoa powder
2/3 cup oil
1/2 C almond milk
1 cup peanut butter
1 tbsp. vanilla
3 cups oatmeal
Mix sugar, cocoa, oil, and almond butter in saucepan. Heat to a boil and cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla. Add oatmeal and stir. Drop by rounded spoonfulls onto wax paper. Refrigerate until set.

Parsley Potatoes
2 lbs. small red potatoes
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. garlic
1 tbsp. dried parsley or fresh
salt & pepper to taste

Clean and quarter potatoes. Steam until tender. In non-stick frying pan heat olive oil. Add garlic and saute 1 min. Add potatoes and toss to coat. Add parsley, salt and pepper and stir.

What's for dinner tonight? Chicken kebabs and whatever our friends are cooking! It is after all Memorial Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment