Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Truth

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.

Proverbs 3:5-6

I have been reading Andy Stanley's Principle of the Path and it hit me last night that I was heading down a path that led to a place I didn't want to be. We were heading to financial instability. We were taking our financial responsibility and throwing it out the window. It was time we acknowledged our situation, accepted the truth, and chose a new direction.

My hubby's unemployment has definitely redirected our focus. Suppose we had taken on this massive renovation and then he were unemployed. Would we have the necessary savings to survive until the next job presented itself? I'm laying it all out here in black and white in hopes that others may take warning. We were planning on borrowing the money to renovate the kitchen. Now I don't have a problem with borrowing responsibly. To me that means being able to pay it back and having a plan to do so. D and I had a heart to heart the other night and he questioned whether I would ever be able to take on that kind of debt in order to remodel the kitchen. My reply was that if we had 6 months living expenses and included the payment that would be required on that loan, then I would be comfortable borrowing. I need to know that if he were unemployed again, we would be able to weather the storm as we are now.

What's for dinner tonight...well, I'll tell you what NOT to have for dinner tonight. Last night we had this fabulous molasses marinated pork as seen on Good Eats with Alton Brown. It was fabulous but the marinade had coffee in it and lets just say there wasn't much sleeping going on at our house. Serve it with baked beans, pasta salad, and some fruit and it's a great summer time meal, just make sure you are prepared to be awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment