Friday, April 27, 2012

Ode to the Drawstring Bag


I have been fascinated with drawstring bags lately.  They are so practical and useful.  I often have little projects that I take with me but they get thrown into a larger bag, yarns get tangled, threads become confused, and needles abound poking me every chance they get.  I decided to make a drawstring bag to contain each of my projects.  When I am ready to go, I can easily grab a bag or two and take it with me.  

Made in all different sizes and in fancy fabrics, they can be useful for all occasions.  A friend of mine whipped up some gorgeous hand stitched silk bags perfect for a night at the opera.  Add a few straps and the simple drawstring bag becomes a useful backpack.  Add a grommet and the bag becomes a yarn bag to keep your yarn from rolling away.  Made tiny, they are treat bags for kids birthday parties or gift bags for diamonds and pearls (hint, hint).

I have decided to do a series of posts on drawstring bags.  How to make them, how to use them, how to adapt them for every purpose.  It's going to be a fun journey.  Easy enough for beginners, useful enough for seasoned seamsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment