Monday, May 16, 2011

Sugar Cookies


I thought I would share my latest and greatest sugar cookie recipe. It's a constant struggle with sugar cookies because I cannot have dairy. The fake butter tastes, well, fake. I use palm shortening which is fine but just doesn't compare with the half butter, half shortening cookies that I used to love. Tonight I decided to try coconut oil. The resulting dough felt much closer to the cookie dough I grew up loving and sneaking bites. The taste is excellent. I will roll them and cook them tomorrow and will post an update. Here is the recipe:

Simply Sugar Cookies
1/3 C coconut oil
1/3 C shortening
3/4 C sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
2 C flour

Combine shortening and coconut oil in mixer bowl. Add sugar and cream until combined. Add egg, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon rind, baking powder, and salt. Beat until fluffy. Add in 1 cup flour and mix until combine. Stir in remaining flour by hand, just until thoroughly combined. Divide dough in half and press into flattened circles between plastic wrap. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. I like to leave them overnight. Roll out to an 1/8 inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters. Bake at 350 for 7 min. or until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment